Statements against new.net?

Adam Rothschild asr at latency.net
Fri Mar 16 07:43:43 UTC 2001

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 07:20:55PM -0800, Roeland Meyer wrote:
> ISP specific

...works reasonably well if you want to multihome w/ BGP, but cannot
honestly justify a provider-independent IP allocation as per registry
guidelines, assuming some level of common sense is exercised when
planning things.

> CIDR swamps are not cool.

Sorry I'm not an authority on what's cool in your book, but why not?

> It must be portable and routable. See, I just created a market
> differentiator.

So, encourage the ARIN to offer micro-allocations today, and upstreams
to listen to /24 (or whatever) and shorter out of this space, if and
when it does become available.  With the backing of MHSC, I'd imagine
such a task should be effortless.

> BTW, i've been getting comments that some folks are biasing
> evaluations of some clients, based on the ip addrs of the client's
> hosts.

Oh my.  I thought all one needed to be stylin' was a low AS number.
Do tell, which IP blocks are prestigious, and which are not?

-adam