Statements against new.net?

Ben Browning benb at theriver.com
Fri Mar 16 04:38:01 UTC 2001

At 12:59 PM 3/15/2001, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
>On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Ben Browning wrote:
> > I dare say there is a good consumer demand for a flying car, or a cure for
> > AIDS.
>
>And people are working towards both. In fact, there are a couple of
>"flying cars"(different companies implementations) out there. What's your
>point?

My point is that the laws of physics do not bend to allow an Edsel to sail
through the air with the greatest of ease, regardless of how fervently Joe
Sixpack may wish it. My point is that, although I could drive the
aforementioned Edsel off a cliff and market it as a way to make a
backwards-compatible flying car upgrade, it still ain't. The only
difference here is new.nets stupidity is a bit more subtle.

Please do not duck the next time the clue-by-four swings your way.

> > Although consumer demand is not driven by our technical expertise, neither
> > are our networks dictated by consumer demand.
>
>Without consumer demand, it is highly unlikely that you'd have a network
>to speak of.

Without us, it's highly unlikely consumers would have a network to demand.

Symbiotic relationships are not necessarily causal.

>I agree with you, 100%. I don't believe one company should either, rather
>it be NSI, ICANN, New.net, or any other player. But that is exactly what
>the majority of individuals appear to be rather voiceferously
>advocating, saying anything outside the "sanctioned root"(whatever that
>means) should be blackholed, the people offfering such TLDS are "frauds",
>etc.

"The Board of ICANN is composed of nineteen Directors: nine At-Large
Directors, nine selected by ICANN's three supporting organizations, and the
President/CEO (ex officio). Five of the current At-Large Directors were
selected according to a vote of Internet users worldwide."

As opposed to "New.net was started in May 2000 by idealab!, a leading
Internet incubator. We have developed proprietary technology that allows
our domain-naming system to exist alongside the traditional naming systems
currently in use on the Internet. New.net has applied for patent protection
for this technology."

At least ICANN has some pretense of democracy.

And before you climb on to the trusty soapbox, please don't. I think we are
all familiar with your "Damn the [ICANN|NSI] man!" tirade.

~Ben, as always, speaking for himself.
---
    Ben Browning <benb at theriver.com>
       The River Internet Access Co.