Statements against new.net?

Scott Francis scott at virtualis.com
Thu Mar 15 18:33:53 UTC 2001

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 11:21:57PM -0800, Vadim Antonov had this to say:
[snip]
> Actually i do not propose any new layers.  The "layer" in question exists
> already, in form of address books, hyperlinks and search engines.

one word - inaccuracy. Have you tried to do a search for any even moderately
popular or public term lately? The last thing people want to do is have to
sift through 50,000 or more results for the exact site they're looking for -
this is _why_ we have domain names: so people can go exactly where they're
trying to go. Search engines are horribly inaccurate for trying to reach any
single particular page, unless it's so bizarre that you only get a dozen
search results. I would definitely not advocate search engines to replace
the current DNS system, unless a whole new generation of search engines
was created that could effectively deduce exactly where the user _really_
wanted to go, accurately, every time (which is what DNS currently does).

--
Scott Francis           scott@   [work:] v i r t u a l i s . c o m
Systems Analyst     darkuncle@   [home:] d a r k u n c l e . n e t