I've just tried new.net's plugin. Don't.

Jeff Workman jworkman at pimpworks.org
Thu Mar 15 18:18:25 UTC 2001

After _trying_ to ignore this subject all week, and failing miserably, I
now feel that it's time for my $0.02 (USD.)

Stoned koala bears drooled eucalyptus spit in awe as Chris Davis exclaimed:

> I did mean to say in my last posting, everything *non-resolvable* outside
> the ICANN TLD's is resolved to 64.208.49.135

This can actually be a "Good Thing," for unless 64.208.49.135 is a Cray,
it's going to be swamped if this thing gets very widely deployed.

> Existing new.net TLD domains resolve to whatever their IPs are.
>
> The plug-in, however, sends ANY query outside the ICANN TLDs to
> 64.208.49.135.
> This usurps any and every other imaginable future TLD, ie www.bull.shit
> They're not advertising a 'shit' domain (um, literally), and yet requests
> for 'shit' go to their NS.

This can almost be considered to be criminal and malicious.  I just hope
and pray that it doesn't go very far.

> Their scheme, if successful, takes over service for EVERY TLD domain not
> already in operation by ICANN.

Scary, eh?  Yet, people are advocating this farce.

> Who's the monopoly?

Gee..I dunno?

Seriously folks, anybody who is supporting this system must be on some
_very_strong recreational pharmaceuticals.  As are those who are claiming
that it's a political issue and not a technical one.  As has been pointed
out _several_ times on this list, the RFC's state ONE ROOT.  This is The
Way God Intended DNS To Be.  This isn't a matter of whether ICANN is right
or not in their decisions concering new TLDs.  Personally, I do not care
who runs the root, as long as it works.  It could be our fine friends at
goatse.cx for all I care. What I *do* care about, however, is that
www.whatever.com resolves to the same IP address (or group of IP
addresses) whether I am dialed into Earthlink, C&W, AOL, or whatever.  Is
it too much to ask that we have a consistent view of the DNS namespace? I
don't think it is, and I don't think that  New.Net's system is going to
provide it.

I hope that whoever dreamt up the whole New.Net concept gets condemned to
the same level of Hell as the spammers and kiddie pr0n peddlers. I am glad
that the advocates of this system have revealed themselves on this list,
for I wish to laugh loudly and obnoxiously at you when New.Net fails, and
it *will* fail.

Thankfully, the 2 small systems that I help to admin in my spare time are
refusing to support this thing, and so far, I have gotten no official word
from my $main_employer as to whether or not they support it or not, but I
suspect the answer to be "no".  I most certainly hope so, for the sake of
humanity and the Internet.

Jeff

--
"...and the burnt fool's bandaged finger goes wobbling back to the
fire." -Joe Zeff in the SDM.