Broken Internet?

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Mar 15 16:44:29 UTC 2001

[ On Wednesday, March 14, 2001 at 13:37:56 (-0800), Roeland Meyer wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: Broken Internet?
>
> There are a number of problems with what you have proposed. For one thing,
> the tinker-factor is too high for production purposes. I have more, but this
> day is dedicated to BizDev and I can't spare the time right now..

It works perfectly well in production if you have the appropriate skill
set, and even an amateur could make it work for 1 or 2 hosts at a really
small site.  If you think that the average "Joe" off the street can't
make it work then you're absolutely right.  They don't usually let those
kind of people fly commercial jets either, yet there are more of them in
the air at any one time around the world than either you or I can
reliably count.  So productise it then.  Otherwise there's no excuse.

(Even if all the world were to upgrade their BGP routers to handle a
reasonable number of routes (say 500,000, though ~2^20 would be ideal),
then we would still have this problem because not everyone can justify
even a /24, and we'd also start out with a severe shortage of people
skilled in running BGP too!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>