DNS Control

mike harrison meuon at highertech.net
Thu Mar 15 13:27:14 UTC 2001

> > > Because the current DNS has a single contention point, it is very
> > > vulnerable.  It can be very easily taken over by a large
> > > corporate entity.
> >
> > The let's design a better system.
>
> <TONGUE POSITION="CHEEK">
> When its done, can we please move it the hell out of the US?
> </TONGUE>

As pro-American as I am, this has a certain appeal.
No longer are things done for the 'good of the 'net'
but for control and profit. At what point do we truly
internationalize things that have this vulnerability.
Although I think the United Nations is more corrupt
than even the USA Corporate/Govt world, maybe
some things need to be under control of a multi-nation
/government agency recognized by all parties for the good
of the 'net.

As a socially responsible anarchist, I can't believe
I just said it, but it may be a better solution than
a Verisign(ish) corporation saying: This domain/trademark
is being disputed, and as XYZMegaCorp Corporation pays us $$$
a year for multiple services... you lose.

The big problem: a person(s) really in charge of such
things that we all would trust explicitly, or at least
a reasonable amount.