Broken Internet?

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Mar 14 19:24:42 UTC 2001

[ On Tuesday, March 13, 2001 at 19:54:00 (-0500), Daniel Senie wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Broken Internet?
>
> We can't. The point, though, is that the Internet needs to have a GOOD
> way to support multihoming. We presently DO NOT have a good mechanism
> for this. The IPv6 approach to this does not appear workable either.

That's because this is a problem that has never existed, not ever.

Proper *real* multi-homing has *ALWAYS* worked and it's technically an
excellent way to achieve redundant connectivity for a "small" network.
(other risks related to "all your eggs in one basket" type of physical
infrastructure aside, and they can be put aside for many businesses
because if the bricks&mortar part is destoryed the business can't
survive anyway....)

Given the various simple little tricks I mentioned you don't even need
to put multiple interfaces in every server.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>