Statements against new.net?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Mar 14 08:54:28 UTC 2001

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:14:50 PST, Mike Batchelor <mikebat at tmcs.net>  said:
> Yes it is a value judgement.  He has determined that the problem is
> insoluble.  It isn't.  And we don't have to abandon DNS as the nameservice

and also

> Well DUH!  I totally agree that conflicting roots break things.  But I don't
> think that conflicting roots is an inevitable consequence of having multiple
> roots, or even multiple root zones.

So which is it?  If conflicting roots break things, then the problem
*is* insoluble.

Remember that RFC2826 only discusses the issue of conflicting roots - there's
no technical reason not to hand-wave and aggregate all identical roots
under one "naming authority" (totally unspecified - it's *WHATEVER METHOD*
got all the identical roots to *be* identical, even if it was 5 kegs of
beer at a trade show ;)

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech