Statements against new.net?

Edward S. Marshall esm at logic.net
Wed Mar 14 00:36:19 UTC 2001

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 06:23:57PM +0000, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:
> It is stupid and irresponsible to setup a new DNS root. End of story, read
> 2826.

End of story for you. Others here would appear to prefer to discuss the
issue.

> And.. if you let new.net do it then every other capitalist in the world
> will start doing it and then the Internet will become disfunctional, and
> what will that achieve?

If you let BigCompany operate a top-level Usenet hierarchy, then every other
capitalist in the world will start doing it and then Usenet will become
disfunctional, and what will that achieve?

Oh, that's right, Usenet is still usable, with fairly comprehensive
guidelines on how hierarchy and group maintainers can keep things running
smoothly. Even in the face of different news servers having different
namespaces. Funny, that.

(Usenet has it's problems, but distributed management of a hierarchy isn't
one of them, and hasn't been for a very long time.)

> Stick to the single root, stand firm on this policy and new.net wont get
> far!

What exactly scares you so much about this? The fact that individual
nameserver operators are realizing that they are the ultimate authorities
over their DNS infrastructure, rather than a political commitee? (Why am
I suddenly reminded of the "Grassroots DNS" effort that someone put forth a
few years back?)

For the record, I don't think this is being handled well, by any of the
parties involved. But I'm not concerned at all about new roots; in fact, I'm
very interested in seeing how this plays out. I see three possibilities:

a) The new alt. root on the block loses its funding, and we keep going under
   the same strained system. Until next year's entrant to the alt. root camp
   (the pattern is becoming fairly obvious at this point).

b) The alternative roots start gaining ground, and we begin seeing
   individual ISPs operating "." zones for customers, tracking top-level
   delegations themselves ala Usenet to ensure maximum availability of
   names for their customers.

c) DNS shows its age and melts down, making way for more effective resource
   location schemes. <URL:http://advogato.org/article/109.html>

--
Edward S. Marshall <esm at logic.net>                http://www.nyx.net/~emarshal/