Statements against new.net?

Brett Frankenberger rbf at rbfnet.com
Tue Mar 13 22:19:01 UTC 2001

> On Tue, 13 March 2001, "Steven M. Bellovin" wrote:
> >    Put simply, deploying multiple public DNS roots would raise a very
> >    strong possibility that users of different ISPs who click on the same
> >    link on a web page could end up at different destinations, against
> >    the will of the web page designers.
>
> Its not really the "will of the web page designers."  If this becomes
> popular, I suspect most web page designers will start using dotted-quad
> addresses inside their HTML URLs on their web pages.  So clicking on a
> link on a web page will go to were the web page designer directs you.
> Except for NAT strangeness, IP Address are mostly globally unique.

Fine.  Then we have a technical issue associated with "all the links
break when a web server is moved to a different IP address because
whoever was hosting it had to renumber", and it's companion "I can fix
the links because there's no way to know what the new IP address is".

Since the reason renumbering is a reality are technical -- or, are at
least presented that way -- the need for a single DNS root remains
technical.

Dotted-quads aren't a viable technical solution on the Internet as it
exists today, anyway, because there's too many servers that have one IP
address and lots of virtual hosts.

> The issue is really one of user expectations.  Some class of users
> have developed the expectation if they type some words resembling
> what they are looking for in the "address" prompt of their web
> browser, they will get taken to someplace they want.

That is indeed a political issue, but it's separate from DNS.  There is
a technical need to map a name that is relatively constant to an IP
address which is relatively transient.

The requirement for DNS names to have some meaning to the user is
political, and that could certainly be eliminated, but 2826 doesn't
address that issue.  It only addresses the need for "one true DNS".  We
could certainly (and probably should, although it's unlikely to happen)
make DNS names non-meaningful and then have a higher level of search
functionality to provide lookups based on meaningful names, and there
could certainly be multiple such search providers.

     -- Brett