Statements against new.net?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Mar 13 22:03:58 UTC 2001

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:55:46 PST, Roeland Meyer said:

> Improper conclusion based on a false premise. SRS has shown that root-root
> synchronization can happen. Probably easier than TLD-TLD syncs, because the
> rate of change is much lower. That's a

Umm... actually, we showed *THAT* can happen when we first had more than
one server for '.' and had to propogate the root from place to place.

Two roots that are synchronized are essentially one root.  We already
know how to have lots of registries feed into a common view of the root.
The problem starts when one root knows about .com, .net, and .foo, and
another knows about .com, .net, and .bar, and a third has .com, .net,
and a conflicting view of a different .foo.

Now, how did SRS deal with the first root having an SOA for blat.foo that
pointed at an NS entry at 128.154.0.1, and the third root had an SOA
for blat.foo that pointed at a different NS entry run by a different
company at 119.5.254.9?  Guess what?  you get different answers based
on which root you ask.  And I'd be vastly surprised if SRS could tell
us how to get consistent results from the two roots in this case.

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst