Broken Internet?

Peter Francis peter at softaware.com
Tue Mar 13 21:45:44 UTC 2001

<snip>

>Any business needs:
>1. to be able to change upstream providers without having to renumber.

Why? Intelligent use of DNS and dhcp make renumbering only a minor inconvenience.

>2. to be able to change access providers without having to suffer
>multi-month down-times.

Mission/business critical services should be in a co-lo anyway and not off a DSL line.

>3. to be able to have its net-block(s) visible regardless of which ISPs they
>are currently using.

How do you propose doing this without growing the routing table 1-2 orders of magnitude?

>Currently the only ones that can do that are those that;
>1. Are large enough to justify a /20 (begging the question of how they got
>that large).
>2. Can afford their own datacenter.
>
>It looks like our technical solutions are raising unreasonable barriers to
>entry for small businesses.

No.  Co-lo your website and "intranet".  Get two T1's that same provider via two different entry points/carriers to your office (if possible) and you should be about as rock solid you could expect for $2-3000/month or there abouts.

Peter