Statements against new.net?

Scott Francis scott at virtualis.com
Tue Mar 13 13:28:53 UTC 2001

On or around Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 11:37:26AM -0800, Patrick Greenwell may have written:

> Suddenly, I feel like I should be grabbing your hand and engaging in a
> rousing rendition of "Kumbayah my lord."
>
> Rather you or myself like it or not, given the existence of a player
> that has the capital to make this idea go, the market now has an
> opportunity to decide for itself.

Unfortunately, "the market" tends to consist in large majority of 1) users, and 2) management. And we all know how bright those two particular segments of the population tend to be.

> Perhaps next you might wish to stamp your feet and threaten to hold your
> breath until they go away?

let's not forget what mailing list this is - the operators in this forum can
have a very real and significant impact on the direction "the market" takes.
If, as a group, the NANOG readership decides to take a single position on
anything (ha!), then we could very likely effectively determine in which
direction "the market" will go. After all, if _nobody's_ customers can access
new.net's non-sanctioned gTLDs, they can't very well go to another provider
for such access, and new.net will die the quick death that it deserves.

(yes, I'm obviously idealistic and naive to think that even a significant
majority of NANOG readers could even agree on which way is up, but I think
enough people agree on this issue that we don't necessarily have to sit back
and let "the market" make decisions that will have real operational impact
for the foreseeable future. We can make those decisions ourselves.)

--
Scott Francis           scott@   [work:] v i r t u a l i s . c o m
Systems Analyst     darkuncle@   [home:] d a r k u n c l e . n e t