Statements against new.net?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Mar 13 20:26:28 UTC 2001

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:13:18 PST, Sean Donelan said:
> Its not really the "will of the web page designers."  If this becomes
> popular, I suspect most web page designers will start using dotted-quad
> addresses inside their HTML URLs on their web pages.  So clicking on a

Except of course you can't bookmark the damned things, because the
bookmark breaks if the website recables.  One machine in my office has
had the same hostname for 8 years now, but at least 3 MAC addresses
due to upgrades and either 3 or 4 IP addresses.  Hostnames exist for a
reason. (For bonus points - how long after the first IMP install did a
host change its NCP network address because of an IMP port change? ;)

I have to ask if any of these people who advocate the new.net approach
have been in the business long enough to have diagnosed problems caused
by "I've got the Sep 1 hosts.txt, but you've go the July 15 and they've
got the Sep 22" version.

I *thought* we learned our lesson. Apparently not.

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst