Looking Glass Code

Ariel Biener ariel at fireball.tau.ac.il
Tue Mar 13 01:14:36 UTC 2001

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Don Simpson wrote:

I have posted a list of such resources a while back (you can either look
it up in the archives, or I'll send it to you in private).

About your concerns, I don't think automated telnet/ssh access (using some
script, which means you'll be storing the password for access somewhere on
the disk, either as a different file, or as a part of the code) is more
secure than rsh to a router with privilege level 1 (you can create a user,
and using the aaa new-model authentication model, you can create a
privilege level for that user, specifying exactly what commands that user
is allowed to use) for example.

--Ariel

> I have been thinking about putting together a looking glass site on my
> network and have looked at Ed Kern's (DIGEX) html and perl script but do not
> want to enable rsh (anywhere) and do not want to reinvent the wheel if not
> necessary. Has anyone seenan updated script written to use other access
> means like telnet or ssh to exchange CLI/commands and results with an IOS
> router?

> Don Simpson

Ariel Biener
e-mail: ariel at post.tau.ac.il