new.net

Charles Scott cscott at gaslightmedia.com
Sat Mar 10 13:45:39 UTC 2001

Scott:
  Which is why I suggested, but I guess didn't properly verbalize, that
it would make sence to put the entity in the correct part of the domain
structure. An "Apple" would be international, Joe Apple is local, Apple
Towing might be county wide, Apple Bagles might be state wide. Attach them
to the appropriate regional domain and you reduce confusion. Since the
structure is extensible, it could even include business sectors. I can't
see how this would be anything but a better approach. Perhaps search
engines specifically tailored to locate and segregate the various Apples
(domain related--not bringing up every apple pie recepie) would further
clear up the situation.
  Face it, there's going to be other "Apples". Rather than configuring
things so that it's harder to find the right apple and segregate one
legitimate apple from the other, why not have a system that clearly
segregates them. Since trademark law is based on the potential for
confusion, a system that attemps the clear up confusion can only
help. Certainly not what we have now.

Chuck