new.net

Mike Batchelor mikebat at tmcs.net
Fri Mar 9 19:25:18 UTC 2001

> richb at pioneer.ci.net writes:
>
> > Corporate entities should be *required* to register in the flat dot-com
> > namespace, IMHO, and not be *allowed* names in any other namespace.
>
> I like the idea of creating a new ".tm" TLD (or something less likely
> to conflict with a CCTLD), and requiring anybody who wants trademark
> protection to register there; everything else is a free-for-all, as it
> pretty much is now.  Let them have their little trademark disputes
> over there, and let less litigious heads rule in the other TLDs.

How do you propose to enforce this?  What authority will be able to
intercede in a trademark lawsuit involving a domain outside .tm, and put a
stop to it?

The namespace is the namespace, and infringment is infringment, whereever it
occurs.  If infringment occurs, the damaged party should not be prevented
from seeking relief.