new.net

Shawn McMahon smcmahon at eiv.com
Fri Mar 9 11:48:45 UTC 2001

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 04:59:22PM -0800, Mathew Butler wrote:
> You -could- always do the whois-type thing, where ALL records containing
> 'apple' are returned, on first access to the name?

That will INCREASE the number of court cases where a big player accuses
a little player of trademark infringement because he's using some obscure
word like "apple" or "window".

Case in point:

[smcmahon at qward smcmahon]$ whois apple
[whois.crsnic.net]

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

APPLE.WEBMANGO.NET
APPLE.VYBORBANK.COM
APPLE.UW.WA-K20.NET
APPLE.TAMU.ED
APPLE.SNS.CA
APPLE.SHEC.EDU.CN
APPLE.SANKYOGROUP.COM
APPLE.QHIT.NET
APPLE.PRINT.NET.CO.JP
APPLE.MEGAWAN.NET
APPLE.MAZY.COM
APPLE.KDD.NET.HK
APPLE.ICOE.NET
APPLE.GOODGOOD.COM
APPLE.FRUITCOM.COM
APPLE.ELEL.NET
APPLE.EARTHCAPE.NE.JP
APPLE.CONNECTING-PT.COM
APPLE.COM.IS.THE.CHOICE.OF.ALL.SELF.RESPECTING.TERRORISTS.NET
APPLE.COM.IS.KRAD-NEAT.BUT.SO.IS.JIMPHILLIPS.ORG
APPLE.BRG.CO.JP
APPLE.BOTBAY.NET
APPLE.APPLEBYCOLORLAB.COM
APPLE.APLAKIVSYSTEMS.COM
APPLE.ORG
APPLE.NET
APPLE.COM

And it'll be even worse if we're doing DNS that way, because if I'm looking
for Apple Records and I type "apple", I won't get it unless EVERYTHING
with "apple" in it shows up, not just the ones with
(whitespace)apple(whitespace).