[NANOG] Re: new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

Steve Sobol sjsobol at NorthShoreTechnologies.net
Thu Mar 8 05:36:44 UTC 2001

Vadim Antonov wrote:

> (BTW, if you're an Itailan, DNS is not a much of help if you want to find
> CNN - www.cnn.it is _not_ a real CNN :) And www.pbs.com is _not_ PBS TV,
> you should use www.pbs.org instead. And typing IRS into location bar of
> the browser gets you nowhere - www.irs.com is not the Internal Revenue
> Service, etc, etc.  Cursory tour of DNS produces thousands of examples
> like those.

The United States Postal Service registered both usps.gov and usps.com (and
publicizes .com, FWIW). But I bet there are plenty of sites that didn't
do that, or couldn't because the names were already taken.

> The point is - hierarchical naming or categorization is not useful in
> general case.

You'd rather memorize IP addresses instead? You're a better man than I. :)

/me rushes to register nanog.net and nanog.com. Woops; both are already
taken.

--
Steven J. Sobol/CTO/JustThe.net LLC | sjsobol at NorthShoreTechnologies.net
SAY IT LOUD: I'M GEEK AND I'M PROUD! | 888.480.4NET (4638) 216.619.2NET (2638)