GSR and bgp maximum-paths

Rob Evans rhe at noc.ten-155.net
Wed Mar 7 18:39:49 UTC 2001

> Is anyone else have any problems with "maximum-paths" on a GSR and if yes,
> what release of IOS? Any other issues I should be aware of?

It may not affect you (given you are running 12.0(10)S), but having
maximum-paths set to something other than 1 can cause problems on
Engine 2 linecards.  The result is that the CEF IPC Background
process eats all available linecard CPU.  Packet forwarding is not
directly affected, but it can mean that the CEF tables take a long
time to converge after a routing flap.

As far as I am aware the bug was introduced around 12.0(13.6)S, and
has not been fixed in any releases so far.

However, this is starting to stray into cisco-nsp territory.  :-)

Rob