new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

Joe Provo joe.provo at rcn.com
Tue Mar 6 20:22:53 UTC 2001

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 02:06:23PM -0500, Kevin Loch wrote:
[snip]
> The more I look at this the more it looks like
> an good old fasioned root hijack.  The difference
> this time is they already have the network of servers,
> and they already have some ISPs lined up.

Uh, yah. That was my point re: masses, etc.

We apparently have different assumptions implicit in "adding any new
TLDs".  Root servers, like rule of law, is a consensual social delusion.
I'm not one that likes to limit my reachability, so from my perspective
no, they aren't added and I only see them through the subdomains of
new.net.  Interesting how aware they are of their present lack of
critical mass; see their explicit instructions for non-windoze OS users.
They don't ask end-users to add their servers in, but rather to simply
extend their resolver search to look under new.net.

Cheers,

Joe

--
Joe Provo                                            Voice  508.486.7471
Director, Internet Planning & Design                 Fax    508.229.2375