new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

Richard Welty rwelty at vpnet.com
Tue Mar 6 20:21:58 UTC 2001

Charles Sprickman [mailto:spork at inch.com] wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Steve Rubin wrote:

> > patent-pending technology? oh brother.

> Actually, that would be the part of it that lets users get to
> these new
> domains even if their ISP does not cooperate.  Read the release again
> carefully.  hint:  browser plugin.

ok, here's the problem:

if we take the press release as written (dangerous to do), then the design
is inherently flawed, as the browser will be able to see the domains, but a
copy of Eudora or a traditional FTP client wouldn't be able to.

if we assume the press release is in error, then the "patented technology"
might consist of a different name resolver for windows -- but i don't know
how hard that substitution is to actually do, not being a windows hacker
type.

and of course, mac, un*x and linux users would be right out, unless they
plan to serve that market with "patented technology" as well.

whatever you may think of ICANN, this concept is still fairly brain
damaged.

richard