new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

Kevin Loch kloch at opnsys.com
Tue Mar 6 19:06:23 UTC 2001

Actually they are not just subdomains of new.net.
What it looks like is an attempt to make the
UltraDNS network the new root.

udns1.ultradns.net returns an A record for pie.shop
just like udns1.newdotnet.net.

I suspect that all UltraDNS servers return queries
for these alternate TLD's.

The more I look at this the more it looks like
an good old fasioned root hijack.  The difference
this time is they already have the network of servers,
and they already have some ISPs lined up.

I'm not passing judgement on wether it's good or not,
but let's call it as it is.

KL