new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

Karyn Ulriksen kulriksen at publichost.com
Tue Mar 6 18:25:21 UTC 2001

I wonder how many unsophisticated network operators are going to give up the
existing root server infrastructure for this obviously problematic layer:

;
.                       3600000         IN      NS      ns1.newdotnet.net.
ns1.newdotnet.net.      3600000         IN      A       206.132.100.43
;
.                       3600000         IN      NS      ns2.newdotnet.net.
ns2.newdotnet.net.      3600000         IN      A       64.209.213.126
;
.                       3600000         IN      NS      ns3.newdotnet.net.
ns3.newdotnet.net.      3600000         IN      A       209.151.233.13
;

yeah.  I want to rely on three root level name servers.  Really, I do! I do!
Can't we knock off some of the root servers like the one at MIT or
something?  Besides, I'm certain that idealabs! has much better experience
in creating scalable nameserver systems than Vix, etc. <cough>

The stub config is interesting, though. Maybe run it until ICANN figures out
what they are going to do.  Since the users pay the bills for the most
part...