new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

Joe Provo joe.provo at rcn.com
Tue Mar 6 17:50:47 UTC 2001

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 08:13:36AM -0800, Patrick Greenwell wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Paul A Vixie wrote:
>

> > [ this came from http://www.new.net/about_us_press.tp and appears not to be
> >   a joke.  its operational impact will not be felt today, but if it's even
> >   moderately popular before it dies, operational impact WILL be felt.  i'm
> >   quite surprised by some of the folks they list as their partners.  --vix ]
>
> Too bad ICANN has been such a complete and utter failure that an
> organization felt it necessary to start such a business, huh?

Too bad people can believe what they read in press releases rather than
reality.

I wonder if anyone can register a name with them, and then sue them for
not actually adding any new TLDs? Aside from the misrepresentation of it
being anythign other than subdomains in their zone, it is a good thing.
Of course, that misrepresentation is slimy, will cause confusion if and
when any of those *.new.net zones match new TLDs, and is the hallmark of
shysters. I think the comments about EK and Balkanizing are spot on, but
the only tell half the story; this is also about duping of the masses
at the end of the pipe.

Just like when news servers became measured by the locker-room length of
your .newsrc; when the unscrupulous goons down the block started giving
any and all comers *.(com|net|org) regarless what kind of entity it was
...if a critical mass of folks are duped into believing this is the Way
It Is, will this eat away at sanity and will you find your bosses saying
"it may not be 'right' but we have to stay competative" ...?

Bleah.

Joe

--
Joe Provo                                            Voice  508.486.7471
Director, Internet Planning & Design                 Fax    508.229.2375