new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

Greg Rumple grumple at zaphon.llamas.net
Tue Mar 6 17:28:54 UTC 2001

* Brian (bri at sonicboom.org) [010306 17:19]:

> Here's the part of new.net that seems not well thought out.  So if you don't
> wanna dink with system settings to be an end user, and are not on a partner
> network, then too bad, is that what I appear to be seeing?

No I think it was thought out.  This is pysically no different than any
of the other alternative roots that have popped up in the past (quite a
few of them are still around I believe).  Just that new.net has actually
come to agreements with several large ISP's (earthlink, netzero,
excite at home) for their domains to be reachable through them (at least
that's how I read their website).  This gives them access to a large
subscriber base.  I believe they are hoping by having market
penetration, thus generating interest and usage, that they will give
other ISP's no choice but to eventually join the new.net crowd, or lose
customers.

Greg

--
Greg Rumple