Network Sizing Guidelines?

Daniel R Glover Daniel.R.Glover at grc.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 6 13:50:10 UTC 2001

Marshall,

Thanks.  Those are the kind of ballpark numbers I was hoping to get by
asking this list.  I know it doesn't seem like a range like that would be
helpful, but that's the real world.  I have also received some help that
says depending on what your users do with the network that you can handle
100 users on a 128K ISDN and sometimes a T1 can only support 3 users.  That
at least helps me bound the problem.  And, of course, there are wild cards
like P2P that require predicting the future.

I could try to build some fancy models to make fancier estimates, but in
the end it still comes down to guessing.  I figured nanog would be the best
place to ask for a good guess tempered by real world experience.  Thanks
again for some numbers.

r/
Dan