new.net: yet another dns namespace overlay play

Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Tue Mar 6 12:05:00 UTC 2001

Paul A Vixie wrote:

> [ this came from http://www.new.net/about_us_press.tp and appears not to be
>   a joke.  its operational impact will not be felt today, but if it's even
>   moderately popular before it dies, operational impact WILL be felt.  i'm
>   quite surprised by some of the folks they list as their partners.  --vix ]

This reminds me of the days of Eugene Kashpureff.
Ironically, while I can ping www.new.net - notice what it resolves to :

64 bytes from mm4ee.vegas.idealab.com (64.208.49.141): icmp_seq=0 ttl=247 time=72.345 msec

I cannot get the web page.

Also, look at

> The Technology
>
> New.net is able to provide use of these new, top-level domains through
> innovative, patent-pending technology that allows the New.net names to live
> within the existing Internet domain name system. Whether on an individual
> browser level via the New.net plug-in, or through software resident on a
> participating ISP's server, requests to display Web pages with New.net
> domain names are resolved by appending the additional extension .new.net
> onto the address. As a result, requests are automatically routed to
> New.net's DNS servers to determine the correct IP address of the computer
> hosting the Web page.  New.net has partnered with UltraDNS, one of the
> Internet's leading DNS infrastructure services companies, to provide
> scalable, global DNS services.

So, in other words, if ICANN approves any of the same top level domains, DNS
for those domains will be totally hosed.

Also, note that they did not give in their PR AN EXAMPLE for the rest of us to try.

Marshall Eubanks

>   Contact:
>   Claudia de Llano or Lisa Doiron
>   Connors Communications
>   (310) 452-7540
>   claudia at connors.com or lisa at connors.com
>
>                                                   Brad Copeland
>                                                   New.net, Inc.
>                                                   626-229-7800
>                                                   pr at new.net
>
>   New.net Expands Internet Naming With Launch of 20 New Top-Level Domain Names
<snip>

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : tme at on-the-i.com     http://www.on-the-i.com