Covad SUCKS!

Brian Wallingford brian at meganet.net
Thu Mar 1 01:31:44 UTC 2001

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Steve Gibbard wrote:

:Yes, having your DSL service cut off sucks.  I know this from experience,
:as my home connection is also currently down for the same reason.
:However, I think the lesson to learn from this is not that Covad sucks,
:but rather that keeping mission critical systems single homed on a DSL
:line to an ISP that's not paying its bills is probably a bad idea.

Our sales staff tells prospective clients exactly that ("If your business
will rely heavily on your connectivity, DSL is the wrong choice").  It's
not mature enough (read: its too-quick proliferation was due mostly to
largely sales-oriented, facilities-less entities flooding the market
with no forethought to quality).

And, of course, it's never a good idea to include scenarios that are out
of one's control in SLAs to one's clients.  That said, I'd say Roeland's
gotten his share of crow to mange on ;)  Live and learn.

-brian