Cable Modem [really responsible engineering]

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Jun 29 18:57:16 UTC 2001

[ On Friday, June 29, 2001 at 14:08:12 (-0400), Fletcher E  Kittredge wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Cable Modem [really responsible engineering]
>
> This works when the modem is on, and when you don't have a large
> number of modems...  For a large number of modems, running that number
> of smtpgets when there is an active problem to be solved is not fun.
>
> How would you do historical data?

Remember what I said about caching and updating the cache?

(there should be a clue here for you -- this question always keeps
coming back to the very same answer!)

>  How frequently would you poll the
> CPE to put together your history?

I wouldn't ever poll the CPE.  All I ever need to know about CPE devices
is in my dhcpd.leases file (and the dhcpd syslog entries).

> Greg, with all due respect, I have been doing all of this for longer
> than you :) Back around 1986, I realized that there are no original
> ideas in an Internetworked world.  Given the same problem, people tend
> to come up with the same solutions.  Especially since nanog readers
> tend to share the same paradigms...

You think so, do you?  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods