Open Peers at PAIX

Richard A. Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Jun 28 19:21:33 UTC 2001

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 12:46:04PM -0600, Pete Ashdown wrote:

> What follows is a list I compiled of organizations at PAIX who peer
> without restrictions.  Restrictions are "requirements" like nationwide
> [...]
>
> Organization          IP address      AS#     Email contact
>
> AboveNet              198.32.176.11    6461   noc at above.net
> Exodus                198.32.176.15    3967   peering at exodus.net
> Global Crossing       198.32.176.29    3549   peering at gblx.net

These are the only large service provider networks I see listed. AboveNet
would probably peer with a bum on the street outside PAIX if he could
speak BGP, but AFAIK GBLX's requirements were at least 3 locations and
bi-costal at a minimium. If I remember correctly Exodus is also slightly
picky about its "ghetto peers", probably falling somewhere the middle of
the other two.

The rest of the list seems to basically fall into the categories of other
"tier 2" regionals (Hurricane Electric, Maxim, etc), content looking for a
way to save money on their transit bill (Hotmail, EA, etc), Asian networks
who have a circuit to the US but aren't willing to cross it and will take
any peers they can get (SingTel, KDD, etc), and misc small networks with
little overwhelming value.

Seems almost all the larger service providers are requiring at least
bi-costal these days.

You also missed a couple of the email contacts, abov is peering@ and
lightning is not noc at cp.net :P