Is this normal?

Scott Francis darkuncle at darkuncle.net
Wed Jun 27 07:19:08 UTC 2001

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 11:35:55PM -0700, Larry Diffey exclaimed:
>   3   180 ms    20 ms    30 ms  10.0.242.77
>   4    80 ms    50 ms    20 ms  10.0.242.73

> As you can see, the third and fourth hop are advertising 10's and I wouldn't
> think a provider would want traffic passing through a private address space.

ugh. you have just raised the skeleton of one of the top 3 most popular
religious wars in this forum. There is no consensus on this. I personally
think it's bad form, but as these addresses are unlikely to appear in anything
other than a traceroute, it's probably not hurting anything.

/me awaits the 1746 replies to come ...

--
Scott Francis                   darkuncle@ [home:] d a r k u n c l e . n e t
UNIX | IP networks | security | sysadmin | caffeine | BOFH | general geekery