Is this normal?

Gordon Ewasiuk gewasiuk at gnmc.net
Wed Jun 27 07:23:39 UTC 2001

On Yesterday, Larry Diffey wrote:
>I've only been lurking here for a couple of days and I hope this isn't
>an inappropriate question for this group.  No flames please if I
>shouldn't have posted this (or for the double negative); a good stern
>warning will do just fine. :-)

RFC1918 TROLL!  lol.  kidding. =)

>I'm wondering if what I'm seeing in this trace route is normal provider
>behavior (I haven't seen this happen before now).
<snip traceroute with 1918 addys>

Depends on the meaning of "normal". Check out
http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/2000-07/msg00394.html

There are many, many other threads about this and related topics(NAT,
VPNs with 1918 addys, breaking traceoute with 1918 addys, etc.)
RFC1918 addys are sacred stomping ground.

@Home and Adelphia(atleast in VA) use 1918 addys internally.  They
usually turn up between the modem and the distribution hub/headend(?).

Also, poke around at http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/.  Complete
archives of NANOG discussions from 1994.

-Gordo

Gordon Ewasiuk, Sun Firefighter, Winstar VHC
O:  703.889.4035  C:  703.731.4828  IM:  wanjunkie
The REAL office number is here----->  703.893.4901
Have you had your Solaris today?

  2:30am  up 3 day(s),  3:30,  2 users,  load average: 1.01, 1.00, 1.01