Cable Modem [really good network design]

Wojtek Zlobicki wojtekz at idirect.com
Tue Jun 26 22:27:33 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christian Kuhtz" <ck at arch.bellsouth.net>
To: "Wojtek Zlobicki" <wojtekz at idirect.com>
Cc: <nanog at merit.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 3:24 PM
Subject: Re: Cable Modem [really good network design]

> On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 03:01:41PM -0400, Wojtek Zlobicki wrote:
> > ATM to the desktop never took off, whats wrong with Ethernet over ATM ?
> > With devices such as
> > IADS, it allows for easy differentiation of traffic.  Now you can cary
voice
> > and data over the same
> > physical link without worry.
> [..]
>
> Ever tried it without that?  I have done quite a bit of less than
scientific
> testing of VoIP over a QoS-less infrastructures.  Small VoIP packets seem
> have little trouble squeezing thru and it works actually pretty well.
That's
> without ATM QoS crap on a broadband connection.

I have to concede here.  We were able to run the VOIP traffic using UBR, out
network
not being saturated, this may have helped, on a busy network, a lot of
problems could have
arrisen.  What is nice, is that QOS is easy to enable in ATM.  There are
many reasons that
ATM has not taken off, from a CLEC perspective, I believe it to be the
superior technology.
I would much rather have a 10 Mbps Ethernet feed from a company like Cogent
but those
links do not compare in pricing with DSL.

> --
> Christian Kuhtz <ck at arch.bellsouth.net> -wk, <ck at gnu.org> -hm
> Sr. Architect, Engineering & Architecture, BellSouth.net, Atlanta, GA,
U.S.