Cable Modem [really responsible engineering]

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Tue Jun 26 18:41:32 UTC 2001

[ On Tuesday, June 26, 2001 at 10:43:03 (-0400), Fletcher E Kittredge wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Cable Modem [really responsible engineering]
>
>         Let me stress in passing, it is very important that public
> (non-RFC 1918) IPv4 addresses not be wasted on cable/wireless/dsl
> modems.  There is no reason for these modems to be reachable from the
> outside world (in an IPoE environment) and reachability is actually
> dangerous.  If you waste public IP addresses on these devices,
> eventually ARIN will step on your head.

Indeed.  In fact most of the cable and DSL modems I've seen seem to be
so poorly implemented that giving the world access to them is far worse
than just shooting yourself in the foot.  Some even unconditionally
allow SNMP sets from the customer premises interface, which is bad
enough.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>