Cable Modem [really more about PPPoE]

Steve Schaefer schaefer at simone.dashbit.com
Tue Jun 26 16:21:11 UTC 2001

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Fletcher E Kittredge wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:28:16 -0400 (EDT)  Chris White wrote:
> > DHCP alone is not a viable option in this model. How do you get the end
> > user traffic to the ISP and back in a pure IP environment? Policy routing,
> > GRE, MPLS, force your ISP customer to interconnect at every location,
> > etc.?
>
> Hello Chris;
>
> You provide frustrating few details and a statement "DHCP alone is not
> a viable option in this model."  Could you restate more concretely
> what is your design problem which can only be solved by
> ATM/MPLS/PPPoE?  I hesitate to answer for fear that there is some
> constraint I don't know about.

The constraint is that outbound packets need to go to the right ISP.  That
is, the packets need to go through the carrier network according to the
business relationship, not according to the destination IP address.

Some method of identifying the ISP associated with each outbound packet is
necessary.  Policy routing, tunnels and PVC's are a few methods.  VLAN
tagging works, too.

-Steve