for folks tracking DDOS sources or reading the GRC attack log

Richard A. Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Jun 26 00:12:11 UTC 2001

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 04:54:12PM -0700, Mike Batchelor wrote:

> >     24.0/8 is the "cable block".
>
> No it's not.  Check out 24.132/14 for instance.

IANA and ARIN seem to think it is... Check out:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/network-24

The "Network 24 - Cable Block" will link to the following text:

 Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)
 Date: May 11, 2001

 The IANA has completed the administrative transfer of responsibility
 for 24.0.0.0 - 24.255.255.255 (Cable Block) to the American Regional
 Internet Registry (ARIN).

 Questions or Whois information for this 24/8 block should be directed
 to ARIN <www.arin.net>.

I'm sure a few legacy allocations in 24/8 space will happen to slip
through...

> >  Nearly all the cable operators
> > have one slice or another from this block.
>
> Perhaps this is true in the US.
>
> >  Nearly all North American
> > cable modems users have address space in this block.
>
> No they don't.

Well since I don't think you can argue Canadian cable modems follow
different patterns, you seem to have contradicted yourself...

> > Ran
> > rja at inet.org
>
> Didja ever have a bad hair day, when you just felt like being contrary
> for the hell of it?

You think thats funny, until Extreme switchs starts shipping with your
IP null routed by default... :P