Operational Content, I think...

prelude at mindspring.com prelude at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 24 20:41:54 UTC 2001

I've used boxes as a brace, or mounted a shelf or another piece of equipment immediately below(or used already mounted equipment) to hold up stuff while I put down the screwdriver and slid it out. Most of the time i'm sure i've violated OSHA by doing it.

andrew
still looking for a job

deepak at ai.net wrote:

This comes up every now and then, and I still haven't seen a good solution,
so here is the situation.

Every now and then, the graveyard maintenance shift (read: few people) needs
to mount a 7' tall or 600 lb piece of equipment we've all come to know and
love in a rack. While pad jacks are available to move them around the
datacenter floor, equipped with friendly hydraulics and all, there is a
piece missing.

Is there a common-sense piece of equipment available that 1 person can
operate that will support a very bulky, rackmountable piece of equipment so
the same, single person can mount/unmount it near the top of a rack?

I have seen plenty of solutions for this on warehouse floors, but most
datacenters don't have the ceiling height for track-crane. I don't know how
people handle the 15' relay racks either now that I am sharing my gap in
knowledge.

Your advice, suggestions and even jokes are appreciated, but remember, I'm
armed. :)

Deepak