DDOS anecdotes

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Jun 24 09:36:46 UTC 2001

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 16:11:56 PDT, Bohdan Tashchuk <tashchuk at easystreet.com>  said:
> Wouldn't it be poetic justice if/when these "Owned" Windoze machines
> turn their attentions to www.microsoft.com?
>
> That would get Microsoft's attention. I don't care how big their pipes
> or how widely distributed their servers. A DDOS like this would be
> devastating.

Doubtful.

I believe they got DDOS'ed while trying to come back online from their
"router misconfiguration" problem a few months ago.  I've always suspected
their misconfiguration" was a response to another DDOS (but can't prove it).

If Microsoft hasn't been infested with VB Outlook worms already, they're
probably the only shop using their software that hasn't.

No, it's already gotten their attention.  The high rate that they ship
new fixes for security holes in their software demonstrates their renewed
dedication to quality software security - they even shipped one recent
fix 3 times just to be sure they got it right.  They've declared war
on this stuff, and are determined to get it right.

After all, they'll never get their .NET stuff to fly if people don't
trust their software, will they?

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech