What is evil: IP spoofing or Distributed attacks? (was Re: DDOS anecdotes)

Przemyslaw Karwasiecki karwas at ifxcorp.com
Sun Jun 24 04:58:18 UTC 2001

Hello Eric,

Automagicness, you are asking for, is a beautiful thing,
but in a reality, sometimes, assumption that Internet traffic
is symmetrical, and a destination address of all your IP packets
is 100% coherent with your BGP advertisements, can be false.

Nearly all of our satellite connected POPs fall into this category.
We are sending traffic up through the terrestial fiber links
on which we don't (want to) BGP advertise it, and we expect to
receive traffic from the sky, from our sattelite providers,
so in such (over)simplyfied automagic algorithm for building
"huger" ACL config lists we would be simply rejected.

--

Besides -- The whole NANOG-mail-thread about "DDOS anecdotes",
and grc.com, and DDoS somehow drifted into anti-spoofing disputes.

But - unfortunately -- even in a perfect, "IP-unspoofable" ISP-land
"(if that were a word" :-), somebody "0wning 1000 windoze boxen
with customized IRC bots" will do the very same damage
as some devil IP spoofer. Regardless of their (XP) IP stack
vulnerability to IP spoofing or not.

Those concerted DDoS attacks __don't require__ spoofing at all.

The keyword there is "Distributed" -- they are dangerous and disturbing,
but not because of lack of cooperation between ISPs in fight
against IP spoofing, but because there are not known techniques
and methods to fight against somebody stealth-ing his/her attack
behind so many <really> distributed hosts that we don't know how
to ACL them.

You asked for thoughts -- here are my $.002

Przemek
(IFXer always complainig about good (too)strict Netrail? BGP policies)