DDOS anecdotes

Majdi S. Abbas msa at samurai.sfo.dead-dog.com
Sat Jun 23 18:04:11 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 01:49:57PM -0400, Vivien M. wrote:
> The rest of NANOG may, as we do, wonder why Mr. Gibson, after almost naming
> us in that page (he didn't name _us_ directly, but left enough not-so-subtle
> hints that both us and our users noticed us being mentioned), chose to brush
> off our offers to help, claiming instead that he just wanted to move on and
> forget about the whole thing. (I ought to mention that it took at least a
> week to get a reply from Mr. Gibson)

	Personally, I found this pretty amusing:

	"As you can see from the schematic diagram above, the Verio (our ISP)
	 router that supplies our T1 trunks enjoys two massive 100 megabit
	 connections to the Internet. But from there all of the traffic bound
	 for us must be funnelled through our two T1 trunks."

	But it's not as good as:

	"were all originated from the same small IP address rane
	 corresponding to the small ISP Genuity, BBN Planet, in Kenosha,
	 Wisconsin - an Earthlink reseller."

	Clearly, someone has been missing out on the black rocket.

	--msa