DDOS anecdotes

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sat Jun 23 16:38:55 UTC 2001

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Pim van Riezen wrote:

> Although this is a nice idea, it will fail. The reason is very simple. If
> you(1) can track me when I hack your machine, you(2) can also track me
> when I look at your network banners. Users will flock to the ISP that
> won't let you(3).

Let's change the unique identifier once a week then. As long as the ISP
can use it to identify you, it doesn't have to be the same for eternity.

What I'm trying to accomplish here is the same thing as the ISP do by
getting the IP and the time, and then looking thru their logs to see who
was on.

I already know several ISPs that mark port-switch-router.town.ispname.tld,
for this same reason. Are you saying this is a better approach when it
comes to privacy?

I'm trying to solve the accountability issue without compromising privacy.
There has got to be SOME way to figure this out, right? I am not the best
man to do it, but I figure that the best people on the planet to do this
should be on this list, or at least people on this list know the best
people.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se