IETF draft on Operator Requirements of Network Management Tools

Bill Woodcock woody at zocalo.net
Sat Jun 23 05:37:03 UTC 2001

The IETF Operations and Management area held an interim meeting in
Phoenix in conjunction with the last NANOG.  It was called to
address the gulf which has grown between the operator community and
the management tools development community.  There are clearly
un-met needs for network management tools, and tools which haven't
found use in operational networks.  Randy and Bert want to get the
two groups talking again so the management tools folks' time won't
be wasted and the operators will get tools they can use.

Suzanne Woolf and I have been tasked with producing a draft to
document operator requirements of infrastructure management methods.
We need to describe the tools, methods, and practices which
operators need the management software community to support, in as
unambiguous a fashion as possible.

There's an email list for discussing the requirements, which you can
subscribe to in the usual manner at:

    ops-nm-request at ops.ietf.org

and there's an email address to which specific suggested
requirements can be sent, which Suzanne and I will try to
incorporate into the document.  Please write up exactly what you're
thinking, with clear examples, if possible, and as much detail as
you think is necessary, and send them to:

    ops-nm-suggestions at ops.ietf.org

As likely requirements are submitted, Suzanne and I will
summarize them back to the ops-nm list for discussion.  If you need
to contact us privately we can be reached at:

     Suzanne Woolf
     woolf at mfnx.net
     +1 408 367 6666  (GMT +8)

     Bill Woodcock