Multicast Traffic on Backbones

Thomas R. Charron tomc at koreawisenut.com
Fri Jun 15 02:27:35 UTC 2001

>Essentially every major network operator has one network engineer
>who can set up multicast for customers.  The problem is very few
>networks have figured out how to turn multicast into a commercial
>product. So if you don't find that one engineer, you are out of
>luck.

>Unicast streaming may be less efficient, but most providers can figure
>out how to charge for it and make it a supported product.  Unfortunately
>some folks have confused multimedia with multicast.  While I've seen
>many multimedia multicast applications, I haven't seen one which can't
>have its essential elements replicated by unicast streams.  Is there
>a killer-ap for multicast?

A South Korean company has developed an app that sets up multicast on a
network automatically.  No router config required.  It does it with a small
active-x that installs on a user's machine and gives a server on the ntwk
all the info it needs to route the multicast stream.  Pretty cool stuff.
I'd call it a killer-ap for multicasting.

Tom