New list Top 10 ISPs

RJ Atkinson rja at inet.org
Tue Jun 12 14:49:29 UTC 2001

At 09:47 12/06/01, Sean Donelan wrote:

>NetworkWorld published an article citing research from
>Probe Research ranking the top 10 ISPs and their marketshare
>based on Year-end (2000) revenue.

        Essentially none of these sorts of analyses
are meaningful or relevant because one can yield
any result or ordering one wants by playing games
with the definition of "ISP" and the basis for
the ranking.

        Also very unclear to me how any of this
helps folks operate their networks or is applicable
to NANOG, unless we've become a marketing organisation
recently...

Ran