Multicast Traffic on Backbones

Hank Nussbacher hank at att.net.il
Mon Jun 11 07:09:47 UTC 2001

At 21:46 10/06/01 +0100, BrandonButterworth wrote:

> > HOWEVER, most of the 24x7 media sites (CNN, etc.) are doing on-demand
> > video, rather than streaming a constant feed.

Just wait a year or two.  There are now two companies that I know of
(probably others) that do near-on-demand video via multicast:

http://www.bandwiz.com/
http://www.digitalfountain.com/

By doing clever encoding techniques these companies are able to provide
near on demand video streams via a *single* multicast stream.  See:
http://www.digitalfountain.com/technology/DF_techOverview.pdf - simple overview
http://www.digitalfountain.com/technology/DFTechWhitePaper2.9.pdf -
detailed geek overview

-Hank