Multicast Traffic on Backbones

Joshua Goodall joshua at roughtrade.net
Sun Jun 10 13:09:48 UTC 2001

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Tim Winders wrote:

> Now my eye's are glazing over.  :-)  Did you mean "receive but not send"

i did indeed. there wash shushi in my keyboardsh.

> UUnet's arguement for charging to sendis that you can potentially chew up
> large portions of their network bandwith with only a small connection
> yourself.

what else is multicast for? hopefully it works out cheaper than your
expected outbound unicast streams would have cost (including the clue
overhead for supporting mcast)

> Very true.  I am having a hard time grasping the technical specifics.  It
> has taken quite a bit of study and discussion to figure out what I have so
> far, and I am sure I have misunderstood many things.  Unfortunately, what
> I am finding out, is that multicast is a subject that rarely comes up as
> an option with customers.  There isn't a demand, so the providers don't
> put the resources into it...

things don't gain momentum if they keep changing direction.

<sotto-voce>the same might be said to the v6 folks</sotto-voce>

- J