/24s run amuck again

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Jun 10 10:45:52 UTC 2001

> If you are on my upstream chain, then I am accompanying my routing
> requirements with money. Whatever penalty you may incur I pay for with my
> upstream payment. Where your statement holds is once you are not seeing
> money from me (i.e. you are not an upstream paid directly or indirectly by
> me), in which case what would help us all is a recognised [*] community
> attribute which says "advertise this prefix together with this attribute
> only to your upstreams"

there are some subtle differences between the above and my previous:

>> community-minded folk might suggest that a universally agreed
>> DO-NOT-EXPORT-TO-PEERS community would get you a good way there.
>> at least it would approximately follow the money.

note, for example, that your semantic does not announce the fine-grained
routes (aka rubbish:-) Upstream has heard from you to Upstream's's bgp-
speaking customers (Downstreams?), who i presume are mult-homed.

and note that my second suggestion

>> also note that filtering peers' announcements on rir allocation
>> boundaries would seem to go a way toward meeting both your needs
>> and mine.  and it is what smb's nanog presentation alludes to.

allows conservative/protectionist/... peers and multi-homed downstreams
to achieve a similar result while waiting for a DO-NOT-EXPORT-TO-PEERS
community to be deployed.

randy