/24s run amuck again

Richard A. Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sat Jun 9 19:50:39 UTC 2001

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, Randy Bush wrote:

> > There are lots of reasons to have some diverse /22 announcements in your
> > network for example.
>
> but if you are not paying me, what reasons are there for me to spend
> my resources (route bloat) so you can engineer your traffic?

The fact that your other customers are paying you to reach everyone on the
internet?

I agree the routing table is bloated (though I disagree that 100k should
be a serious strain on a router, the blame lies with the vendors there),
but there is no reason you need to lose connectivity to anyone in the
process of filtering.

It would be interesting if you could discard more specific routes with the
same attributes as an existing shorter prefix. The problem is if you lose
the shorter announcement you don't have any way to get the more specifics
back. Perhaps it would be possible to keep a low-memory record of the more
specifics which have been removed and the shorter which replaced it. At
this point you're probably just shifting the resources used away from
memory and into CPU, giving you slower convergance times.