Why so little traffic from C&W

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Jun 7 21:35:03 UTC 2001

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, BrandonButterworth wrote:

> > i think the reasoning goes something like "your customers pay you to send
> > this stuff out for them, you should share that money with the folks who
> > do your final delivery for you."
>
> Also "your customers pay you to get this stuff in for them, you
> should share that money with the folks who originate the stuff for you."
>
> Oh, they've both been paid to do their job. The argument goes on in circles.
>
> Sounds like peers.

This gets even weirder when the Tier1:s go after the end users. Heck, I
know I cannot peer with UUNET (for example) as equal, but I do want to
talk to them at local exchange points and give them my routes so they can
use them nationally/locally and I want their national/local routes. I do
not expect them to backhaul my traffic to the US from Europe, but I do
want them to talk to me locally.

I believe the whole structure of tier1, tier2 etc is breaking down and
everybody is going after all customers, and that this will have
interesting implications in the future.

Personally, I firmly belive that my customers pay me to deliver their
traffic the most efficient way possible. I don't care if this is content
or "users", there are always two. Someone pays to get access, and someone
else pays to provide content. ISPs are in the middle to provide the
service of shuffling packets between these two. Let's do that as
efficiently as possible.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se